Come my darling, come
Into my arms tonight.
Rest your wearied head
Upon this breast of mine,
Hardened by this great work
Of living.
Let the troubles of the day
Melt like snow on clay
Let me wrap you in my arms
And whisper that everything
Will be all right.
I'll wipe those lonely tears
From the hollow of your eyes
And I'll explain away your fears
In this the middle of the night.
Come my darling, come
Let me hold you in your sweetest slumbler
In your nightmares
In the times you shake and tremble.
I will never let you go
Even when all others seem to
Forget your name
In the bustle of the day.
When all others are distracted by
Vain, earthy things--themselves,
You are forever on my mind
To me you are always known.
If only you could feel my arms
Around your waist
My finger on your cheek,
See the love in my eyes.
Come my darling, come.
•••
This weariness, this slumber
Will always hold me in his arms.
He asks for nothing,
Yet gives me the rest I need.
Some nights he spins me tales
So my tired mind can believe again
In fantasies and fairy tales.
His arms are ever willing to hold
Even when I long to resist him
For the novelties of living.
But I will ever fall into those arms of sleep
To rest, to dream, to open my eyes again.